Our health is becoming more and more important as the world around us changes. From the aches and discomfort that comes from age to the technological advances that have us sitting more than we move, Americans are becoming less healthy than ever. What if you started to turn it all around with just a change of diet?
There is evidence from several sources, including the National Institutes of Health (NIH), to suggest that we can live healthier, for longer by eating the right foods.
Here’s a list of the foods you need to add to your grocery list:
- Protein – The right amount is key for maintenance of healthy weight and protection from frailty.
- Fiber – A fiber-rich diet, preferably from whole grains, will boost your health.
- Dark, Leafy Greens – Nutrient-dense without added calories for improved health.
- Fish – High levels of omega-3 fatty acids protects the heart; at least one serving per week.
- Nuts – Just a handful helps with satiety, blood sugar spikes and provides both protein & fiber
- Mediterranean – Harvard researchers link this diet of fish, nuts, olive oil and red wine to longevity.
- Berries – A high concentration of polyphenols make these healthy. The micronutrient has been shown to prevent degenerative diseases.
- Probiotics – Not only do these gut-busters protect digestive health, they also improve your hair and skin.
- Coffee – One cup of joe a day is a rich source of antioxidants.
- Spice – Chinese research says capsaicin, the heat behind the spice, gives healthy benefits like anti-obesity, antioxidant, anti-inflammation and anticancer properties.
It’s not always easy to get on the road to good health. But, it is a journey that you must start if you want to get the most quality out of life. Get healthy and give yourself the energy and support to tackle any and all challenges that come your way.